Knitting, Dogs and More: Hard Sell at the Post Office

Friday, September 23, 2005

Hard Sell at the Post Office

Is it my imagination or are the clerks at the Post Office trying to sell customers higher priced services and putting the squeeze on if you decline. I base this on my two most recent visits to the Post Office but I think my visit today is enough proof. My transaction today:


Me - "Hi, I'd like to mail this and need to know what the cost is for Priority and First Class." I'm looking at the little screen that has the info when the item is weighed and the zipcode info is entered. I notice Priority is 3.85 and First Class is .60 and both estimated times are 2 days (just up the state 2.5 hours).

Clerk - "Would you like that to go overnight?"

Me - "No, First Class is fine."

Clerk - "Priority?" said while she's entering that in and then stating "That will be $3.85".

Me - "No, I actually want First Class, please."

Clerk - "But it will take up to a week for your item to get to it's destination ma'am. Are you sure?".


Now, I may have been reading into this but the "Are you sure?" Sounded to me like, "Don't you love your sister enough to at least spend a little more on this present, which is almost 3 weeks late for her Birthday, to possibly get it to her a day earlier so she won't be broken hearted and think that neither one of her siblings loves her enough to get a Birthday present to her at least within the month her actual Birthday occurred?"....I took my chances and stuck with the First Class postage. I wouldn't have been surprised to hear, "What do I have to do to get you in to Priority Mail Service today?" Or some other closing sales statement.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:13 PM  
Blogger Tori said...

I've been spammed, ARGH! One was from sombody trying to sell hunting equipment and the other I was to scared to try and figure out!

7:26 PM  
Blogger Debbie said...

I've taken to using the self-service machine at the Post Office, it lets you make the decision yourself! Plus, no line. Of course your package has to be able to fit in the bin.

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe it. I thought I was the only one this happemed to! For the last few months every time I go to the post office, they try to upsell me. I feel like i'm at a restaurant and they are trying to sell me the more expensive entree.

8:57 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

When they try to "convince" me to go for the priority service, I always think to myself--even they don't trust their basic service. It's like they are saying to you that if you don't go with a tracked, insured, priority service, you might as well not send it. The postal workers in my local post office also have the meanest and worst attitudes I have ever seen. They seem miserable. Once I actualy watched the one guy ignore a woman who didn't understand the unwritten rule of where she should stand to ask a question--he just ignored her while he tried to help someone else. It was bizarre!

6:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I usually tell them upfront for the "cheapest" delivery & that I don't care if it takes a week to get there. They've all complied so far.

I've also used the self-service machine, especially when the line for full-service is almost out the door!

9:58 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I've noticed that about the PO, too, the last time I went. They didn't even ask me how I wanted it shipped, they just said that'll be $3.85 or $10 something. I had to tell them I didn't want it sent Priority or Express! Isn't that ridiculous?

6:01 AM  
Blogger Mitchypoo said...

These are the same people who get upset that it's called "Snail Mail". I appreciate that postal workers may work hard, but i don't like the new selling techniques either.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't mind, I almost always send Priority because it comes with free delivery confirmation if you print the labels online. It's nice when I sell things on eBay because I know when it arrives at the buyer's door. Besides, if you use the flat-rate envelope it is always $3.85 no matter how heavy it is. As for my sister, I'd probably send regular mail if I couldn't deliver it in person. :)Oh, to stop the spam... you shouldn't get any if you require the word verification... Hmmm, but I see you already have that. I wonder if I'll have that same prob with my new blog.

8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


  • Hooded Cabled Pullover
    Family Circle 8/23/77

Click HERE to see my Finished Projects Gallery.
    Click HERE to see my Fitness Blog.
      Click HERE to see the Furry Family members.
        Click HERE to see more detail about what I'm working on.


        • Aran Hooded Pullover #2 - 25 %

        • Aran Afghan - 10 %

        # of Visitors since July 21, 2005

        Hit Counters

        Have a Good Day!

        Powered by Blogger