Knitting, Dogs and More: Picture I Promised!

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Picture I Promised!



This looks like a rookie move right? You're thinking, "Oh poor thing, no one explained the importance of dye lots to her. Maybe she's just used to many Red Heart No Dye Lot yarns to know about this. And Oh MY she must have used yarn from not 2, not 3 but 4 different dye lots." That's what one would think, right? RIGHT? RIGHT? I guess I COULD take a picture of the four ball bands as proof they are all from the same dye lot, but I'm just too tired.

Okay, I know it is selfish to feel SO BAD about this but I'm so mad I could Spit! (My mom used to say that) I was going to wear this on Tuesday to a workshop with my peers and Oh wouldn't I look so hip? I bet it woulda made me look 20lbs lighter too ;-). I'm glad you can't hear the cuss words flying around in my head now. I'm going to alert the company I got it from, they have such wonderful customer service so I won't mention the name here with such a negative situation. I just want them to know so this doesn't happen to more of their customers and THEM!

SO, The Poncho is soaking in the washer with Dawn dishwashing liquid. You don't know how tempted I was to throw a 1/2 gallon of bleach in with it, run the wash cycle, let it disinegrate into the water and wash away so I could pretend it never happened. I wonder if I can dye it or put a rinse in it, you know, like the blue little old ladies use? Maybe soaking before I block it will even out the colors more.

The yarn I'm using for the FLAK is from the same company. Fortunately I have enough yarn (in the same dye-lot HA HA HA) to alternate rows of the skeins at the point I need to start a new skein. I'm also thinking of having an ongoing swatch with yarn from each of the skeins to check if there are differences in color.

UPDATE:

First, thanks for all the nice comments and "shoulders to cry on". I think I emailed everyone back, if I missed you, thanks so much for the encouragement! The Poncho is drying and it doesn't seem to have corrected the problem. The blocking, however seems to be going really well ;-). I contacted the shop I got the yarn from. She was apalled and fortunately hasn't had any other issues like this with the yarn. She is also going to contact the company. Also, most of you hit on what I think I need to do and that is dye it. My Hubby said, "I don't think they make that color Kool Aid. You'll have to mix all the colors." LOL I am going to have to do a bit of research. It will be fun to learn about how I should do this. Take care all!

8 Comments:

Blogger jessica said...

Is it 100% animal fiber? You could dye it! That must stink... I'm so so sorry for you:( I'm sending you a *hug* right now. If it was me, I might be on the floor crying.

4:06 PM  
Blogger Sorka said...

The same thing happened to a member of my knitting group..the yarn company is 'reviewing' the situation.. you should soo get something out of this!Though it doesn't look that bad.. looks better than my friends sweater which has half of he sweater and one sleeve the off shade...at least this is sort of a gradiation..

5:57 PM  
Blogger --Deb said...

That's terrible--and THAT many color changes? Okay, maybe one variation, but four?? IS there any chance you could dye it?

7:22 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

Oh, Tori, you must be furious! I wonder too about dyeing. It's such a lot of work to be wasted with 4 (!) color changes.

7:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a shame as it is such a pretty pattern. Though I agree with Sorka that it could pass for color gradiation. It's funny how the camera will show up what we don't notice in real life- been there! Good luck with the salvage job!

4:00 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Oh Tori!!! Big Hugs! I'm sorry that the soak didn't work, but I think dyeing will be the answer. If you want to do a "blue" wash, why not go buy some new unwashed denim and soak them together? Of course if you "want" denim to run, it probably won't!

3:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh now that is annoying. I'd say dye it, you've put a lot of hard work into it.

Or you could just call it a design element.

1:26 PM  
Blogger Mitchypoo said...

Oh, Tori...it is sooo beautiful and then to have that happen. I think you'll have to dye it too but i'm thinking you'll have to use a dark dye? I haven't dyed in a long time so i'm afraid i'm no real help.

1:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


  • Hooded Cabled Pullover
    Family Circle 8/23/77

Click HERE to see my Finished Projects Gallery.
    Click HERE to see my Fitness Blog.
      Click HERE to see the Furry Family members.
        Click HERE to see more detail about what I'm working on.


        • Aran Hooded Pullover #2 - 25 %

        • Aran Afghan - 10 %

        # of Visitors since July 21, 2005

        Hit Counters

        Have a Good Day!

        Powered by Blogger