Knitting, Dogs and More: She's Gone Swatch Crazy!

Monday, January 09, 2006

She's Gone Swatch Crazy!


Maybe, Maybe Not!

This is actually a toque I'm making to match my FLAK. That sounds funny. Toque, FLAK. If you're wondering what the FLAK is, click on the wonderful FLAK button to the left. The button was made by Cindy of Knitting Park. I'm glad we have some time in between installments of the FLAK. I've decided when we watch Lost and 24 I'll work on my Husband's sweater. Except for those times I'll be knitting for myself. Except, I resolve to complete a gift a month.

Now to the dreaded Poncho as the drama unfolds: This morning a friend came over and she asked to see the poncho before she left. I put it on and every so often she would say, "Yes, You have to do something about it." Or, "It is comfortable isn't it?". So even as I type it is in the washer with royal blue and black Rit Dye which is supposed to be charcoal grey. I've used as little agitation as I think possible. I used way more dye than called for. I've added several pots of boiling water to keep the dye bath above 140 deg. Before I started the process I turned the water heater up to the highest setting and waited 'til it turned off. It's been over an hour. I'm going to go run the rinse (drain and fill with warm, then drain and fill with cold several times. I've read to bring the temperature down slowly. UGH! I feel like I'm going to be sick. I'll save this as draft 'til I get back.
I'm Back! The funny thing is the lines are not as noticeable to me in person as it is on this picture, but I can see faint lines outside, not in direct sun but in bright light. I'll report back when it is completely dry. I think it won't be perfect but it will be wearable and I like the color. I'll see if anyone else notices the lines. If it is dry, I'll wear it tomorrow. I'm SO glad this isn't a garment that would be washed a lot! I think that is the only thing that made dyeing an option. Thanks to everyone who made it this far with me through this crazy project! And thanks for the kind words! Yeah, I think I can put it on my finished projects page. I keep wondering if I should bring it inside. There are birds out there! I'd hate for you to see a picture of it with a big splat in the middle of it! ;-).
 Posted by Picasa

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, pretty color- I'd call that a success!

5:57 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Perfect! The new color is lovely and you can't see the lines at all!!! Whew! I'm so glad it worked out for you :)

4:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't see the lines at all. It looks great, and I like the new color even better then the old!

12:57 PM  
Blogger jessica said...

The new color is great and I can't see the lines one little bit! I'm so happy for you!

2:54 PM  
Blogger Sonya said...

That dye job turned out great! I love the color and I don't see the lines at all. Yay!

5:21 PM  
Blogger Mitchypoo said...

I love the color and i don't see any difference in it at all now? Woohoo to you girlie! It's really beautiful with those cables. I hope you can enjoy it now.

11:01 PM  
Blogger jessica said...

hi again! I found a little something that I wanted to send you and was wondering if I could get your snail mail addy?! You can e-mail me at: jjgutoski(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

happy knitting

1:00 PM  
Blogger Diane said...

I love how your poncho turned out. The dyeing was successful and it looks absolutely beautiful. Enjoy wearing it--you earned it with all that hard work!

8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


  • Hooded Cabled Pullover
    Family Circle 8/23/77

Click HERE to see my Finished Projects Gallery.
    Click HERE to see my Fitness Blog.
      Click HERE to see the Furry Family members.
        Click HERE to see more detail about what I'm working on.


        • Aran Hooded Pullover #2 - 25 %

        • Aran Afghan - 10 %

        # of Visitors since July 21, 2005

        Hit Counters

        Have a Good Day!

        Powered by Blogger